Wednesday, February 06, 2008

'Pastafarians Invade Catalina'

I understand what a treacherous situation we had unwittingly put ourselves in. Now that the Noodly Appendage has touched us, we realize what a perilous time we inhabited.

Photos of Pastafarian flags, tremulous in urbane breezes off Two Harbors, sparked this recollection.

On our honeymoon in 2002, my bride (atheist) and I (a-religious) choppered from Long Beach to Catalina. I was thinking that almost anyone would feel tall stooping to exit a helicopter with head intact as I did so. The village of Avalon can be described as a netherworld of small and 'short' or even 'dwarfed' streets. A fleet of golf-carts, nothing more than 'midget' cars, buzz harmlessly up and down the noodly byways.

We walked the short distance to our accommodation on a little hill. It featured low ceilings, short doors and a tiny bed. The place was short on amenities but did offer a plethora of Zane Grey novels. I still haven't read 'em.

Once we had settled in, we ventured down to the dwarf, er, I mean wharf or harbor or marina. I still felt tall and didn't know why. Was it the euphoria of still having a head or the heady excitement of being on my honeymoon?

It was neither. I had experienced this sensation some years earlier among the indigenous population of landlocked (no pirates) Bolivia.

I/we were tall. It was a midget convention. Boatloads of little people had been infiltrating Avalon all week. It was culminating in this weekend long celebration of small persons.

I realize now that among the hundreds of sail-boat masts, rocking like a drunken forest, not a single Jolly Roger flew. This was a place desperately in need of a pirate intervention.

I would bet that not a single midget was at Two Harbors or Avalon during the Pastafarian Invasion.

Spaghettily yours. Ramen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home